2008년 9월 17일 수요일
Is Chuseok Disappearing ?
Is our traditional Havest Celebration in danger of extinction? Did you have a great time during Chuseok holidays? What is the best thing about the full moon festival? Family reunion, lots of yummy dishes, long-term holidays for some rest, and so on?What is the worst thing? Maybe a terrible traffic jam, fight? You have to be get stuck in the everlasting traffic congestion on the road. But what a good news! The highways and byways was less crowded than last year. Why not? is it a really welcoming sign? People are reluctant to join the celebration of Korean Thanksgivingday. Instead they would rather travel overseas taking advantage of such wonderful off-days. Of course there are many reasons people refuse to visit their hometown and pay tribute to their ancestors. Financial problems are one of the likely excuses. I fully understand, but The intentional sightseeing abroad seems quite good ? I hope we take responsibility of keeping the valuable custom and being in harmony with the new culture. Am i too conservative?
피드 구독하기:
댓글 (Atom)
댓글 2개:
Hi Kelly,
This is a great question that will make us all think. I believe that holidays have to evolve with societies or they will become extinct as you mention. I think that the only way for Chusok to survive is to allow people to get together with their families where ever they want instead of only getting together in their home towns. In my mind, the 'family' is the most important thing, not the location.
Dear Kelly,
This is a good point. As you said, the number of people who don't want to visit their family is increasing because of some reasongs. I think one of the reason is unfairness between males and females during Chuseok holidays. You know,we should be pleased to be with our family, but some of women can't. They have lots of burden for housechores. Whenever I watch my mother in holidays, she has lots of things for my family. I think it's unfair.
For all members of families to be happy, at first our society must change into the cooperative atmosphere. I hope that our society will be changed enough for all women to have a good time during holidays such as Chuseok and traditional Korean New Year's Day. ^^
댓글 쓰기